Ski & Sail Fail
As I have mentioned a bunch of times earlier, the weather we've had on this trip so far have just been spot on! Blue sky and sunshine almost everyday. That is a good recipe for a succesful voyage along the Norwegian coast. So after we had that supreme moule frites lunch on the boat here on Wednesday - considering I made it, and writing here, I figured it's ok to give myself an extra pat on the back - we continued on into the sunset and didn't stop until we came north of Stadlandet. The one place we were a bit worried about, but we made it past without any difficulties. Ended up mooring ourself to a jetty just north of Stadt. By that time we had sailed for 18 hours straight, so we figured that ought to do it.
Come yesterday and after a long good night of sleep, we woke up to a cloudy sky and rain. Super bummed as we had hoped the good weather would continue, but this is the west coast and the weather is not exactly known to be stabil and nice over here.
Anywho, after a rather delayed breakfast yesterday, we set sail and got going towards Alesund. Not the longest distance from were we sat sail from, but we had the wind against us for most of the day so we sailed on close reach. I have no idea if that makes any sense. I just googled sailing terminology and that's what came up that made most sense in terms of how we were sailing. It doesn't matter. Either you get the picture or you don't. What does matter, though, is how cool it has been to se the landscape along the coastline change so much. From flat fields with windmills in the south coast to epic fjords with big mountains on the west coast where we are now.
The weather is what it is, but we are still enjoying our days on the boat. We didn't go to Alesund yesterday, though. We decided we wanted to go ski touring and found a mountain close to Alesund that could work if the weather allowed it.
So we found a jetty to moire our boat as close to the entrance point as possible, but it was still 2k away. Cool little jetty, though. I have to say.
We packed our gear and got to bed, ready to leave this morning.
Buut we woke up at 4.30 and saw that the weather was shit and the forecast didn't exactly raise the hope for better weather to come either.
That the weather is shit is probably pushing it, but rain and clouds isn't exactly the kind of weather you want when you're gonna walk for a few hours. And to be fair, I'm not an oxygen masturbater either. If I'm gonna walk up a freaking tall mountain, the skiing down better be worth it. The way I see it, it's 20% about the walk up, 30% about the view and 50% about the skiing down. If there isn't much view to offer, the view percentage falls under the skiing down category. In other words, the skiing better be insane if I'm gonna walk in the rain with chance of little to zero visibility at the top. High demands or just lazy? Meh, a good mixture I suppose.
The guys went back to sleep and I'm staying up, sharing my inner thoughts about ski touring with you, There will mos def be a time were ski and sail will happend on this trip, but it doesn't seem to be today. Instead there will be plenty of time to go fishing and and after that we will go to Alesund and stay there for a day or two. Really excited about that, as I've never been there before.
Check back later for more updates from the trip. Time for me to get an hour of sleep before the guys wake up.
Peace and Love!